Monday, April 28, 2008

Back in the Saddle

I'm back. I'll be saying the names Jorge, Dakai, Kevin, Angel & Sean again. It's always interesting to think about the way students perceive me as Mr. Holman compared to me, Wes. Whenever I do something resembling Wes, I get a look, a sort of double take that suggests that I'm a human rather than some sort of teacher zombie with no life outside of teaching. I spoke with Jorge during class today as we went over the worksheet on writing numbers in word and number-word form. As we were working, he paused to ask "Mr. Holman, do you type this out yourself?" I nodded. Then I immediately played the sympathy card. "I sure did. While you were having a blast on the weekend, I was busy typing this all out for you." He paused, shrugged his shoulders and proceed to work and not care about my sympathetic card I dealt. He passed it off as a pair of 3s instead of the full house I was anticipating. Oh well, maybe next time.

No comments: