Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Question of Principle/The Holman Way

So I'm in line at Pace University behind three or four others. This is my second time in line, mind you. Five nauseating minutes pass to which I am now on deck awaiting two potential spots to speak with 1 of 2 girls that sit behind the desk. Most likely, both of these ladies are employed by our government funded work-study program. In other words, they're no older than me, just a little more knowledgeable than me in this area to which I am about to present my questions. As I'm glancing back and forth between the two desks, trying to anticipate who will be available first, just then a spot opens to which I, admittedly jump the gun a take a seat. As I'm getting comfy, the "lady" (for lack of a better word) says, "You usually wait until you are called, but I'll take you now"

Sure I jumped the gun, but I was hoping for a more pleasant response. I didn't get that. So I wasn't about to sit there and feel guilty while she helped me. I immediately said "fine then" got back up, put myself back in the front of the line as she said "It's okay, you can come up" I persisted, gave her my profile while shaking my head as I waited for the other lady to open up.

Maybe in a different setting, with a different mood I would have responded different. Or maybe I'm a Holman and that's the way it goes down.

2 comments:

Ly said...

You are a Holman and that's the way it goes down.

ptitteri said...

?